Learn more about Energy Careers:
Security officers are more important than ever in making sure that sensitive energy industry equipment does not risk sabotage or abuse by individuals who are not authorized to access it. Former military personnel are often very successful in these positions because they have developed many of the skills that characterize the most effective security personnel:
- They need to have a strong attention to detail, and they need to be sensitive to any signs that a situation has become unusual.
- They need to be able to learn systems that are in place to use when a suspicious situation occurs.
- They need to be able to quickly apply those systems.
- They need to be able to work independently and make informed decisions to act quickly if necessary.
- They need to have demonstrable, unquestioned integrity and trustworthiness.