Do you have an interest in how things fit together? Then becoming a gas technician may be the job for you! Gas technicians install transmission and distribution pipelines and are essential for the smooth operation of both electric and gas utilities. Other common job titles are Valve and Regulator Repairer, Pipefitter/Pipelayer and Fuser.
Skills required for Gas Technician:
- Follow the directions of others or written instructions to lay out pipe routes.
- Cut pipes to required size and position them for welding or sealing.
- Connect pipe pieces and joints using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Find and repair or replace pipes using special magnetic or radio indicators.
- Be safe and use safety equipment.
Gas Technicians also need to:
- Work with little or no supervision.
- Be patient and willing to stick it out when things go wrong.
- Listen to and understand customer needs and how to meet them.
- Enjoy working outdoors.
- Obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Post-High School Education and Training
A two-year degree is optional. On-the-job training is required for this profession. To view a list of available degree and training programs in your area, use the Get Into Energy NEEN Program Locator.
Average Annual Gas Technician Salary: $41,187
From O*NET. Will vary depending on geographic location.
What’s the future?
As new power plants and energy technologies are developed, skilled gas technicians will be critical to integrate, install, and maintain these technologies to help generate and transmit tomorrow’s power supply. Due to its efficiency, cleanliness, and reliability, natural gas is growing increasingly popular. Consumption of natural gas will increase 20 percent by 2030, according to the US Department of Energy. The American Gas Association (AGA) states most of the growth in natural gas demand comes from electricity generators, who have turned to natural gas because it is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel and highly efficient. More natural gas means more jobs for gas technicians!